Re: OT: top quality rhizome size?

From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>

>From: "Robert & Patricia Roberson" <patrob@centex.net>
>Some of you with experience with iris sales and auctions (I've only
been to
>one), please tell me how large a top quality tall bearded rhizome is
>expected to be?
>Patricia Roberson, in the "oven" in Goldthwaite, Texas.  106 degrees
>yesterday, same expected today, and no rain in sight.
Hi Patricia,

I have run the rhizome sales for our club for quite a few years now and
have come to the conclusion that each variety will vary in size before
blooming. Since this is a pretty common questions among the newer
members when they want to donate to the sales and auctions, I give them
this advise. When digging a clump of irises,  separate them and judge
what it's blooming size is by the old, bloomed out rhizomes.

Anyone else have any good suggestions?

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8