Re: No-Top/White Parasol

From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>

>From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
>Sterling Okase wrote:
>>  I have a problem concerning No Top and White Parasol. They are both
>>  white flat blooming TB irises. I have grown them for a number of
>>  now and came to the realization couple of years ago that they are
>>  one and the same iris. The problem is that I do not know which name
>>  would be correct. The most noticable feature of what I grow as No
>>  Top/White Parasol is that the petal edges are slightly serrated.
>>  anyone know what variety this would be?
>I don't associate serrated edges with either of them -- but I can
>some other distinguishing characteristics you can check next bloom
>NO-TOP has a greenish bud, opens a pale greenish-white, then fades to
>white.  How green it is and how fast it fades depends on growing
>conditions.  It has no pollen -- the anthers aren't even fully formed.
>WHITE PARASOL is a purer white.  Lloyd Austin included a color photo in
>catalog and promoted it as a breeder for flat iris because it is one of
>few that sometimes have pollen.
>Sharon McAllister
Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your advise and descriptions.
Thank you very much for this information. I have printed it out and will
check it next year when it blooms. I also have a an almost complete
collection of Austin's catalogs so I will check to see this photo.

By the way, when I said No Top/White Parasol had serrated edges I meant
very , VERY slightly. It is not serrated like Feathered Friend or
anything as pronounced as that. I think no one other than an Iris Maniac
would even notice such a thing. Anyway, thanks so much for this new
information. Maybe I should order new pieces of both from commercial
sources to compare it to......or would this only compound the problem?

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8