Re: OT-chat:Wild fire

From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>

At 10:02 AM 9/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "ruth" <ruth@sonetcom.com>
>
>Now that I have had a little time to calm down, I wanted to share my
>experience with my iris friends. Oklahoma has been very dry this summer (we
>have not had rain here in my area since June 10.) and the state govenor has
>put the whole state under a BURN BAN. This means no outside burning -
>barbecue grilling - anything.
>
>I went to Wichita Falls, Texas to pick up the TALL TALK newsletter Thursday
>afternoon. Usually when I go there, I have a whole list of errands to do.
>But that day I decided to get right back home & get the labels on the
>newsletter to mail.
>
>When I drove up, I could see smoke  NW of our place. I called several
>neighbors - some live a half mile or a mile from us. No response. So I
>decided to drive down that road & take a look. A half a mile from our house
>I could see the blaze had already jumped the fence on 80 acres of our grass
>pasture. I ran back & called the fire department - we are 3 miles from
>town. They immediately sent six water trucks plus another two from a
>smaller town. The fire marshall was concerned the oil storage tanks would
>catch fire & really cause a distaster. We also had 32 head of cattle on
>that place. Running to herd them across the road, I could sure tell what
>bad shape I am in.
>
>Family & neighbors came & with many garden hoses going, we wet down around
>our house although most area is a plowed field right around our house.
>Anyway we lost the pasture across the road but no one was hurt, the cattle
>were rescued and life on this hot prairie goes on. At 6:30 p.m. when I
>dragged into the house, the outside thermometer read 100 degrees. Yesterday
>it climbed to 107 degrees with no rain in the forecast.
>
>So I join Steven & Sharlyn Rocha as fire victims. It is a no fun
>experience. But it is a reality check. (By the way, I will be using Walter
>Moores potting method for my new irises. There's just no way to get a
>shovel in the ground.)
>
>Ruth B. Simmons - Oklahoma - Zone 7
>AIS Region 22 Editor
>TALL TALK Helper
>HIPS Publication Director
><ruth@sonetcom.com>
>
>So glad you came through your close call with only slight damage, Ruth.
It's really scary to think what could have happened had those oil tanks
caught fire. Strange how sometimes one just has a "feeling" or maybe
providence intervenes, or something...anyway, it's fortunate that you went
straight home and was able to avert a major disaster.  Same here for
Walter's potting method.  Works out great for us and the rzs get off to a
much better start than they would baking in the heat. Ann Henson in S. IL
with temps in the 90s
---