OT: creating more garden

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>When you talk about needing "space" for iris, my husband has the best
idea.
>We've had many customers and tourists that have the same "problem".
>He's decided to sell "Roundup" in our little gift shop -- for those who
>would like to have less grass!!
>Janet

Oh dear!
A warm welcome to the list, BUT have you been following the recent
thread on chemicals?
When I want more space, I put down a heavy mulch of newspapers, manure
and straw, and the weeds underneath die out thoroughly.
For those with difficulties digging, you might be interested in my
method for planting bulbs. Put down a layer of newspaper and manure or
compost, with a little soil on top (I import soil as we have next to
none here) stand the bulbs up where you want them, and cover with the
desirable depth of soil. It's a good idea to mulch the top to prevent
weed growth from the imported soil.

Jan Clark, in Australia