Re: Was OT-chat:Wild fire/Now Potting

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

> >So I join Steven & Sharlyn Rocha as fire victims. It is a no fun
> >experience. But it is a reality check. (By the way, I will be using Walter
> >Moores potting method for my new irises. There's just no way to get a
> >shovel in the ground.)
> >
> >Ruth B. Simmons - Oklahoma - Zone 7
>  Same here for
> Walter's potting method.  Works out great for us and the rzs get off to a
> much better start than they would baking in the heat. Ann Henson in S. IL
> with temps in the 90s
> still.>---------------------------------------------------------------------

	I am so glad those iris talkers in the paths of wildfires have
thus far escaped their fiery fingers.

	This has been a wretched summer in this part of the South.  The
weather people have said that it has been the hottest and driest locally
in twelve years.  I know it has been so since I returned to MS in 1986.

	Just as a comparison tool, I planted some returned Denver plants
out in the open.  They look like dried-up corn shucks.  There is no new
central leaf and no green leaves on any of them.  I have not pulled one up
to check on the root systems, but I doubt that there are any new roots.
On the other hand, the potted ones in the shade are emerald green, all
showing new central leaves and increase.  Some of the new leaves may even
need a little trimming soon!

	I am glad to hear that others are potting their recent
acquisitions too and are realizing the merits of the procedure.

  A lady from across the state called me the other night to ask me what
was wrong with the new irises (they are rotting) she got from Schreiners
(first time to buy) in July and planted them in the garden.  She has hand
watered them with the hose.  Of course, she did not know that July is not
a good time to plant irises in MS, when the temperature is so high. And
overhead watering in the middle of the day is even worse. I think we lose
a lot new/prospective AIS and club members because they are sent plants in
the heat of summer without proper planting instructions for their climate.
Schreiners and others do have a warning in their catalogs about planting
early in heat-prone areas, but customers don't read it. Maybe, a potting
statement could be inserted for planting in the hot climates as well.
Anyway, look for an article on potting in the upcoming issued of TALL TALK
and if you live where it is hot and dry until November, you might want to
think about potting your new things.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8