OT:BIO

From: AHKAtelier@aol.com

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself.  I have been on iris-talk for a month or more.
Thought I ought to let you know I'm here.  My name is Allison Kennedy and I am
fairly new to raising iris.  I moved last February and am busy planting iris
around my new house.  I belong to Region 15, Inland Region Iris Society in
Southern California.  I am also a school teacher (this year Kindergarten and
First Grade) who has just gotten permission to start an iris garden at my
school.  I have at least one other teacher interested as well as a parent
volunteer.  I have four children of my own, ages 17,15,almost 5 and 3.
Needless to say I am usually very busy.  My son, 17, is interested in growing
some irises of his own and we started his collection with 10 tall beardeds.
This weekend we will be digging a bed for him.  He is also interested in doing
some hybridizing.
My interest in iris comes from my mother who died almost exactly a year ago.
She had a purple variety that I took with me when I moved away from home.  I
have grown it everywhere I have lived and have given as housewarming gifts to
a number of my friends.  My mother also was fond of yellow irises as well and
took some pleasure in receiving flowers from my Well-Endowed iris before her
death.  The weekend of her memorial service November 1 last year Lady Friend
bloomed with five blossoms (the number of grandchildren she has).  I had given
her Lady Friend during her illness as her favorite color was red.  I have
since been focusing on collecting red irises and would like to hybridize some
reblooming red irises.
So there you have it.  Who I am.  Oh yes, my first day back at work was Monday
and on my way home in my '54 Sunbeam Alpine with the top off a powerline with
over 100,000 volts fell on me and my car.  I walked away uninjured.  Life has
a new richness for me right now.  It is so tentative.  My car is red also
though once it is fixed it may not be.

If anyone knows where I can get "Cherokee Tears" for red reblooming parent
stock please let me know.

Thanks,
Allison