Re: OT:possums and rabies

From: ItsRoTalk@aol.com

donald@eastland.net writes:

 "Opossums are more resistant to rabies than any other mammal; cattle,
 dogs, cats, sheep, and the ice cream man are far more susceptable to
 rabies." >>

What a hoot!! But the ice cream man that shows up around here looks like he
might be carrying something, maybe not rabies but something....
 Just a small note (I don't want to start an argument) but resistant doesn't
mean immune. My mother is a vet and used to have a practice in a small town in
the mountains of north Georgia. She did a lot of work with the park service,
and we saw all kinds of animals from bears to snakes to the lovely 'possum.
There were a few instances that I remember, when a ranger brought in a 'possum
because of rabid behavior. The animals were euthanised and tested and proved
to be positive. Now, granted, we had more cases of rabies in raccoons and fox,
but the occasional 'possum was also there. Pretty much any animal can carry
rabies. Especially in an epidemic.
 And don't lurk!!! It's no fun if no one wants to talk to me!!