Re: I. ibirica "Elegantissima"

From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 22:58 6/09/98 +0200, you wrote:
>    Hi I am new on this list, and will write a little  about what kind of
>iris I (try) to grow here. I am very much into SDB the smaller the
>better.Most of those species are grown in raised rockbed where they seems
>to  thrive. TB grow in ordinary gardensoil -high pH level,  there are no
>problems. I have made some crosses the last years, but no records  are
>kept. BULB iris are also normally grown in full sun ,  in raised bed due to
>the fact that we sometimes get much rain during  summer. AR is a bit more
>difficult, but can be managed  at a southfaced wall, until now I only
>manage to get flower with I.Iberica  v. Elegantissima, but it sure was the
>most beautiful I`ve ever seen, and  hope to grow more of those. Jan -

That is THE iris I want to get (I. iberica var Elegantissima).  I saw a
photo of it way back sometime before I was really into Irises and at the
time decided that I would get it "one day".  It is the most beaustiful
pristine white and chocolate brown.  Jan, do you know if it grows from
seed?  From what I saw in the photo it was growing wild throughout a grassy
hillside which makes me think it must be true from Seed.  If so, do you (or
anyone else out there) know where I can get some seed.  That is the
absolute most wanted Iris by me.... one of the things which made me take up
irises in the first place (that and the picture I saw of I. reticulata
"Harmony" which filled a bowl...... I managed to achieve that this year).

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers.				Paul Tyerman (Canberra, Australia)