Re: TB: French Iris

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Jeff Walters wrote re French irises at the '98 AIS convention:

>.... such as Double Espoir, Bal Masque, Ruban Bleu, Sixtine C., Princesse
>Caroline de Monaco, and Buisson des Roses come to mind. Princesse Caroline
>was the 3rd Runner-up for the Franklin Cook Award for best iris hybridized
>outside the host region among all the hundreds of cultivars in contention.

	There is no accouting for taste or should I say favorite irises. :)

	My far and away favorite in the guest gardens in Colorado was
	PROVENCAL....a lovely 'red' TB and one cultivar now graces the
	front row of my new TB bed. Incidentally, right next to CONFEDERATE
	ROYALTY (one of Walter Moores' beauties that has sent up a
	impressive new center leaf).

	The French irises were outstanding even in the snow and blustery
	rain at the polar convention.

	Cheers,

	Ellen

	p.s. I don't think PROVENCAL has been introduced yet but I may be
		wrong.

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3