Re: CULT: Hot weather planting

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
>
> I think we lose
>> a lot new/prospective AIS and club members because they are sent plants
>in
>> the heat of summer without proper planting instructions for their
>climate.

I always specify September shipping for bearded iris rhizomes, and never
move my bearded irises before the first cool weather (evidently due
tomorrow, by the way--I hope preceeded by some rain, but this now is rated
unlikely).  Expecting a big order later this week from Schreiner's.
Reminds me that my first order form them was one of their beginner's
collections, back in 1956 or '57.  It included such durables as WABASH,
AMIGO, GRAND CANYON, SABLE, WILLIAM SETCHELL and OLA KALA.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)