CAT: Lone Star Iris Gardens

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

This week I received my first order from Lone Star Gardens, and was
mightily pleased with their rhizomes and their generosity.  The rhizomes
were large and firm (though lacking roots, as is so often the case with LAs
in late summer), and where in one variety, the rhizomes were on the small
side, two were sent.  One plant I had ordered, priced at $5.00 in the
catalog, was out, so it was substituted for by another variety priced at
$40.00!  In addition, the extra plant was a 1997 Pryor introduction.  So
now I am the proud owner of four new Pryor irises: GARNET STORM DANCER,
PRIX D'ELEGANCE, JOIE DE VIVRE, HOT AND SPICY. With such nice rhizomes, I'm
hoping to see some bloom on one or two of these next year.

The plants soaked for several days and have now been planted into a bed
freshly enriched with several cartloads of compost.  After they establish,
a mulch of a few inches of leafmold will go on for the winter.  If we have
another mild winter like the last one, they should grow throughout the
winter.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)