Re: Was OT-chat:Wild fire/Now Potting

From: koekkoek@dordt.edu (Arnold Koekkoek)

Walter Moores' advice about potting in the south just might be worth-
while advice for folks farther north.  This year my garden space was not
ready for my new purchases, so on the advice of an experienced iris
friend I just potted them all.  That meant that instead of having them
in the garden, where I might water when I remembered, I had all sitting
in pots on the driveway (cement, and in the sun much of the day) some 15
feet from the back door.  I saw them whenever I went outside, and I
watered every other day.  Some began to show new growth in a week,
others have taken longer, but every one has done well.  As I get the
space prepared they have gone into the garden, but with roots already
established so they just keep on growing.  I've never seen so much new
growth so soon or so strong or so general, every rhizome.  I have begun
to think that what I did out of necessity might be the path of wisdom.
It is pretty hot in NW Iowa in midsummer, and keeping the rhizomes in
pots, which I can water regularly but from which there is always good
drainage might be the way to go all the time.
Arnold Koekkoek (koekkoek@dordt.edu)  Ph. (712)722-6262
Adjunct Professor of History          Home Ph. (712)722-0724
Dordt College
Sioux Center, IA 51250