Re: CAT: Lone Star Iris Gardens

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Denise-- Lone Star is in Texas (address 5637 Saddleback Road, Garland TX
75043) and they sell only Louisiana irises.  I suspect their current season
is over, so try them next year.

I'm a little perplexed by your reference to Schreiner's vs. Cooley's.
Schreiners' deal is that if your order totals $80, you pay $40, and so on
for orders over $80.  The discount does not apply to collections, which are
already half price or slightly less.  Sounds like a better deal than $100
for $50, since you don't have to buy as much to get the discount.  I'm not
familiar with Cooley's and have never ordered from them, though I have seen
their catalog once or twice.  They seemed to be very similar to Schreiners'
in most respects.

I have to admit to being a lifelong Schreiners' fan.  Not only have they
created an inordinate number of the most beautiful and popular irises ever,
but they give good service and value.  And I recall writing a letter as a
kid back in 1958 filled with the most naive questions imaginable about iris
hybridizing and getting a swift, detailed and kindly reply from Robert
Schreiner, still kicking, bless his soul, if the pictures in the catalog
are any indication.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)