CULT: Iris in Pots

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Tammy King wrote:

>  I'm curious here. I have several irises in pots, and they're just kind
of
>  "scattered" around the patio right now. Do you have any kind of "layout"
for
>  the pots? What I mean to say is, do you just put them "wherever" or are
they
>  forming a path of some sort or ????

I put the ones that need the most protection where they'll get the most
shade, and relegate the arils to only partial shade.   [I'm in southern New
Mexico, where established beds of TBs need shadecloth covers to thrive.]

>  The reason I ask is that with a small child, trying to put them in any
kind
>  of "order" is hard, because it limits her use of the back yard...having
>  "watchout" for moms irises, although she is wonderful about not getting
near
>  enough to them to do any harm.

My main concern is maintaining the identity of the contents of each pot --
whether the "threat" is a child, a St. Bernard with an uncontrollable tail,
or an elderly-but-helpful relative.   I write the name on a small plastic
label with a Sharpie pen, and BURY it in the pot.  [Every one I've
unearthed has been unfaded and easy to read -- so this is my primary
reference when transferring the contents to the garden.]

Of course, I also want the convenience of an easy-to-read label.  I've
tried plastic, wooden, and metal labels that can be stuck into the soil --
but have come to prefer tape labels I can stick on the side of the pot as a
bit more reliable.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com