From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

> majestic eucalyptus trees that look centuries old ......
>......how far away to start planting both because of oils
>and danger of trees falling on both humans and plants

The problem with eucalypts is that they drop branches, suddenly,
completely without warning. Also their leaves contain a substance which
inhibits the growth of other plants.
A neighbor has lush lawn growing right to the base of his gum trees, and
I think he achieves this by being vigilant in clearing up the leaves.
You could probably grow irises reasonably close if you do the same.
Your trees sound lovely, what type of eucalypt are they?
Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia