Iris Beds at Arkansas State Capitol

From: "Patrick O'Connor" <swamp@ix.netcom.com>

You posted a note a few days back with advice to remove stapled tags from
iris before planting, but I guess I deleted it.  I was in Little Rock over
Labor Day and checked out the beds at the Capitol.  They looked pretty good
to me.  Nothing seemed folded, spindled or mutilated.

In fact, I would be interested in hearing about that project, if you have
not discussed it here previously.  I would like to know a bit about how
long the beds sponsored by the Central Arkansas Iris Society have been in
place, how the project is funded, and how many people are required to keep
it looking as good as it does.  I am interested perhaps, in trying to set
something up in New Orleans for Louisiana Iris, and would like to know
anything about your experience that might be helpful.

I have never grown bearded iris and was interested in how some of them at
the Capitol were planted on little hills.  I know they like good drainage,
but what happens when the rhizomes get longer?   Do you add soil, or will
they follow the curve downward?  I am sure this is elementary, but I am
virtually ignorant about bearded irises.

Do you find that your planting at the Capitol brings you new members?  Your
organization is so well identified with a really nice sign.  I guess it was
designed not only to look good but also to discourage those who might want
a souvenir.  Do you lose irises that way?

I know this is a pile of questions, but I am most interested.