Re: Garden Magazines

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Gardens Illustrated is one of the few gardening magazines which has continued
>to repay my attention in recent years. Most of the others have gotten thinner
>and dumber in content and less satisfying in concept while becoming more
>expensive. But GI is fine enough to have spawned a copycat publication called
>The English Garden which closely mimics the format style but cannot touch the
>quality or sophistication of the original.

Don't know these two magazines (I have seen one issue of English Garden) at
all well,but I certainly agree with Anner.  I dropped Horticulture long ago
because of the irrelevancy of most of the articles.  The most recent Flower
and Garden was atrociously edited and laid out, and even Fine Gardening
seems to be, as Anner says, "dumbing down."  I find it harder and harder to
sell the kinds of articles I write to American magazines, perhaps for this
reason (it may also be that the articles are poor, too).

Anyone have any other suggestions for garden magazines with substance?  And
Anner, perhaps you could tell us how to subscribe to Gardens Illustrated.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

If a tin whistle is made out of tin, what is a foghorn made out of?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)