Re: OT-Galanthus

From: HIPSource@aol.com

<< I am desperately in need of information. I have searched everywhere and
 cannot find any information on a double form of galanthus, except that it is
rare. >>

There are several double forms of fancy Galanthus, including named selections
by H. A. Greatorex of Norfolk, England. Apparently these bulbs are much more
various than meets the casual glance and galanthophiles have noted and
encouraged these differences, resulting in numerous named forms in
cultivation. There are apparently 14 different Galanthus species and 74 forms
available commercially in the UK. See the RHS Plantfinder for specifics.

For a detailed description and photographs of various snowdrops see "Cold
Comfort Charm" in the British magazine Gardens Illustrated for January, 1997
(Issue 23). This article contains source information and bibliography. One
source which sounded good was North Green Snowdrops of  Suffolk. Address:
North Green Only, Steven, Beccles, Suffolk, NR34 8DG, England. Bibliography
includes: Snowdrops and Snowflakes by Sir Frederick Stern (RHS 1956), The
Gardener's Guide to Bulbs by Brian Mathew and Phillip Swindells (Mitchell
Beazley 1994), and the book Bulbs by Phillips and Rix (1981) which has
photographs of many species. I recommend you check local libraries for this
magazine article.

Gardens Illustrated is one of the few gardening magazines which has continued
to repay my attention in recent years. Most of the others have gotten thinner
and dumber in content and less satisfying in concept while becoming more
expensive. But GI is fine enough to have spawned a copycat publication called
The English Garden which closely mimics the format style but cannot touch the
quality or sophistication of the original.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com