[iris-talk] Re: OT:Garden Magazines--Quality Thereof

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: Irisborer@aol.com
><< Lots of folks talk about a quarterly called The American Cottage Gardener
> from what I've seen it is a quality publication of its literary type>>
>And, sadly, it has just announced its demise.  One of the very best
>Kathy Guest - mourning the loss
>E. Aurora, NY

Another example of the dictum "bad drives out good."  We also have lost
EARTH, a very fine popular magazine presenting the earth sciences to a
general audience.  They couldn't sell enough advertising.

Starting a new magazine is one of the riskiest business ventures going,
unless you are backed by a major publisher who is prepared to lose money
for several years.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

If a tin whistle is made out of tin, what is a foghorn made out of?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)