[iris-talk] Re: CULT: potting Louisianas

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Dennis asks:
>I'll soon be getting a collection of Louisianas and brevicaulis, and was
>contemplating this potting technique.  How do you guys think about potting
>them and leaving them on my patio right up against the wall of the house
>and then dumping mulch over top of them?

What side of the house is the patio on? East? South? In direct sun? Direct
sun might not be a great idea if you expect frequent freezes, as the added
radiant heat off the house and finished surface (is it a concrete patio?)
might put your babies through an exhausting cycle of cooling and warming.
But out of direct sun and underneath a lot of mulch, a patio would be a
good place, I think.

Even better would be in between two buildings, so you get some protection
from the wind and from warmups. That's what I would do, only I'd set the
pots in trays of water before mulching them deeply.

But I'm Zone 7b, and we had such a mild winter last year my LA trays only
froze once -- and that was a light freeze.

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons