From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>    The U. C. extension office has several pamphlets on Eucalyptus.
>One thing I would be concerned with is the condition of the limbs and
>if they can withstand a heavy wind. One example is the Eucalyptus
>grove just north of Rio Vista on the east side of the Sacramento
>River, it seems to make annual deposits on the road. I guess what I
>am saying is a broken limb might mash one of my favorite iris. A few
>years back didn't a lot of the older Eucalyptus in the Bodega area
>decide to retire.    Bill

They sure have a habit of 'retiring' on a regular basis around here. It
is quite common to hear or see a large branch or whole tree smashing to
the ground, after wet weather. At least one or two a year, within
hearing distance of our house, would be about average. My stepson is
often reminded by his friends, of the time he was holding a conversation
under a gum tree, and had a 6" diameter branch fall without warning, and
land at his feet. A cool lad, he picked up in mid sentence and continued
what he was saying, without moving. His friends were stunned.
All eucalypts shed smaller branches frequently, and even one of these
could do considerable damage to a flower stalk. It really depends how
desperately you need the space, whether you are prepared to run that
risk or not.

Jan Clark, in Australia