[iris-talk] Re: CAT: Lone Star Iris Gardens

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
To: iris-talk@onelist.com <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 2:02 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] CAT: Lone Star Iris Gardens

>From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
>
>This week I received my first order from Lone Star Gardens, and was
>mightily pleased with their rhizomes and their generosity.  The rhizomes
>were large and firm (though lacking roots, as is so often the case with LAs
>in late summer), and where in one variety, the rhizomes were on the small
>side, two were sent.  One plant I had ordered, priced at $5.00 in the
>catalog, was out, so it was substituted for by another variety priced at
>$40.00!  In addition, the extra plant was a 1997 Pryor introduction.  So
>now I am the proud owner of four new Pryor irises: GARNET STORM DANCER,
>PRIX D'ELEGANCE, JOIE DE VIVRE, HOT AND SPICY. With such nice rhizomes, I'm
>hoping to see some bloom on one or two of these next year.
>
>The plants soaked for several days and have now been planted into a bed
>freshly enriched with several cartloads of compost.  After they establish,
>a mulch of a few inches of leafmold will go on for the winter.  If we have
>another mild winter like the last one, they should grow throughout the
>winter.
>
>Bill Shear
>Department of Biology
>Hampden-Sydney College
>Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
>(804)223-6172
>FAX (804)223-6374
>email<bills@hsc.edu>
>
>How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges?
> -IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)

>Dear Bill,

Wow!!  The owner of three of our babies!!  We are truly impressed!  If you
would like to see photos of these three you can enjoy them on our web site
at http://www.pip.com.au/~irishaven where they are there for your viewing
pleasure.

I do apologise for not replying to your post earlier.  We are in the middle
of preparing our display at a rather large, four day garden expo, which
starts tomorrow.  We have dug hundreds of La. rhizomes, and have potted
TB's, Japs, Pseudacorus, La's, Dietes, Libertia and other interesting bits
of horticultural "fluff and nonsense" (good name for an Iris).

The expo is being held about 60 miles away, so the commute is a bit of a
killer.  Today we set everything up and then came home to label 1,000 TB's
and about 900 Las.  The expo is expecting over 120,000 people over the four
days.  When it finishes on Sunday we will de-camp, come home and then
re-pack and re-stock during the week so that we are ready to travel down to
our national capital, Canberra (where Paul Tyerman lives) for a weekend
garden expo there.  At present I am feeling like I need a weeks' sleep and
the first event hasn't even started yet!

Glad to learn that Farron has sent you some good Iris, and I hope that the
Pryor ones give you great pleasure.
Cheers for now (and on the run for a few days)
Heather Pryor  irishaven@pip.com.au