[iris-talk] Re: OT--OT-Posts--Final thoughts

From: koekkoek@dordt.edu (Arnold Koekkoek)

Anner Whitehead's comment about ON- and OFF-TOPIC messages is insight-
ful, I think.  It points up the fact that no message, however relevant
it may be, is going to be interesting to everybody.  The list is aimed
at discussion of matters concerning iris, but that doesn't mean I (or
you) am going to be caring about every single iris issue.  Hybridizing
is important, but I don't do it, and I really don't care to do much
reading about the technical intricacies of it, though I obviously
recognize how important those might be to hybridizers.  Questions
relating arrangments for the artistic part of a show are certainly
questions that relate to iris, but they are not of interest to me.  And
so on.  That's why there is a handy delete key, and I use it a lot, not
as a judgment about the ON or OFF-TOPICNESS of a message but as a mark
of my interest in the subject.  Perhaps we should broaden our definition
of what should be considered OT, too.  I happen to think that it isn't
the OTness of messages that messes up the list.  Rather it is the
lengthy reprinting of things, to which John has commented again,
AND the sending of comments to the list at large which probably should
be private.  Meanwhile, I generally find gems of wisdom, instruction,
humor, etc., on the list, and I look forward to more.
Arnold

--
Arnold Koekkoek (koekkoek@dordt.edu)  Ph. (712)722-6262
Adjunct Professor of History          Home Ph. (712)722-0724