[iris-talk] CULT: Acclimating a plant from a much different climate.

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

     Currently, I am in the process of acclimating two starts of Iris
japonica.  Since the plants came from Alaska, where the sun intensity is
much less, I thought that it would be better to gradually expose them to
some Florida sun.
     Since all of the decent plantings of this species I have seen in this
area have been in dappled shade, that is where I am going to put it.  [I
have taken advantage of some cloudier, cooler weather to move my variegated
form to dappled shade too, since it did not look happy in full sun.]   I
potted those newly arrived pieces, and put them in a spot that is in a
perpetual shadow.  Now, I have put them in a spot that gets a couple hours
dappled sun per day.  Very soon, I will set the pots in the place where I
will plant the Irises so I can see how they take getting some late
afternoon sun as well as the earlier dappled sun.  If they continue to look
good, I will plant them there.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.