[iris-talk] HIST Swedish iris

From: ohrstrom@algonet.se (henrik ohrstrom)

Thank you Anner for your kind answer of  22 aug.

Sorry I havenīt written before but I had some work to do.
My Iris is still producing flowers, it has never done so before,  must be
the wet summer which causes such unusual behaviour.

About seedpods:

Now and then my iris produces some seed pods but they seldom ripen as the
early frostnights kill them. Earlier years I havenīt done any efforts to
collect and sow the seeds because my garden is a little crowded.

Learned the lesson a long time ago when I put the big black seeds of a
beautiful amaryllis in pots on the windowsill and very soon  had 125 sic!
small but vigorous babies filling up every corner of the house. They grew
and bloomed as they should (those are BIIG flowers) but for many  years my
family, friends and relations were heavily overamaryllised. Thatīs  why I am
careful with seeds. An irresistible desire to put things in the ground is
the gardeners disease and I am severely afflicted!

This year there are two big seedpods, one medium sized and a couple of small
ones.They are still all green, and I donīt think they will ever ripen this
cold and wet summer.  If they do, of course I will collect the seeds.

Last week I found one little, dwarfy seedpod which had turned brown and
nearly dry, probably prematurely, it contained seven seeds. I have sown them
in a pot of sand.

About the width and durability of the leaves:

The leaves are 1,5 to 3 cm wide. They turn brown in the autumn and are
totally withered when the snow melts away. In the spring new fresh leaves
grow up again.

About Kochii:

You write that Kochii was for sale in Sweden this year. Do you happen to
know where?

Compiling the information I have got until now gives the following result:

Kochii is not a rebloomer,
it has a yellow beard,
its leaves  tend to be deciduous,
it is not very fertile.

Crimson King   is a rebloomer,
it has a yellow beard,
it has persistent green foliage,
fertile?

I. subbiflora can rebloom,
it has a white beard,
it has evergreen leaves, often taller than the stem,
fertile.

My iris apparently is a rebloomer,
it has a white beard,
its leaves wither during the winter, and the leaves are taller than the stem,
it is fertile, although I can not estimate its fertility compared to other
irises.

Apart from its deciduous leaves, my iris seems to be very like I.subbiflora
as you described it.

I have started the hunting of the books you rekommended and because we now
have had eigth days with sunshine (that was our summer) I have been able to
take a couple of  photographs, perhaps they turn out nice, I will send you
some.

Best regards from Maj Ohrstrom, Sweden