[iris-talk] Re: HIST: Swedish iris

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings, Maj!

What an interesting story we hear about your iris. We like international
stories in this forum.

<< About seedpods: Now and then my iris produces some seed pods but they
seldom ripen as the  early frostnights kill them. Earlier years I havenīt done
any efforts to  collect and sow the seeds because my garden is a little
crowded. ... Learned the lesson a long time ago ....for many  years my
family, friends and relations were heavily overamaryllised..... An
irresistible desire to put things in the ground is  the gardeners disease and
I am severely afflicted!>>

How wonderful! Me too! And so are lots of us here! Many many seed idolators!

<< Last week I found one little, dwarfy seedpod which had turned brown and
 nearly dry, probably prematurely, it contained seven seeds. I have sown them
 in a pot of sand. >>

Good. They may or may not need not be exposed to the elements of winter to
germinate. If they do not germinate in about three months inside you should
consider putting them out into the cold where they shoud germinate in the
spring with the new warmer weather. Your plant may have a natural defense
against winter kill of newly emerged seedlings and need to pass through a cold
time. Some do.

 <<<About Kochii:...... You write that Kochii was for sale in Sweden this
year. Do you happen to  know where?>>>

Zetas tradegard... in Stockholm. They were brought to my attention by
Gunnar--who should say hello if he is out there---They were offering some
historic irises which we have apparently lost over here, things we are very
interested in, and I have been planning to talk to them about where they got
these when their busy season ended and they might have more time for me.

<< Compiling the information I have got until now gives the following result:
 Crimson King   is a rebloomer,
 it has a yellow beard,
 it has persistent green foliage,
 fertile?>>

I don't know. I will see if I can find out. Now is the time for me to send
some information about your iris to some folks who know a good deal about this
sort of thing and we shall see what they think. I know a little about what
questions to ask but you must not rely on my knowing much more than that. But
I shall ask around.

<< My iris apparently is a rebloomer,  it has a white beard,  its leaves
wither during the winter, and the leaves are taller than the stem,  it is
fertile, although I can not estimate its fertility compared to other
irises.>>

It would be good to measure the seed pods and photograph them if this is
possible. Dissect one to see how it is structured inside, and dry one if the
snows come before it is ripe. All these things can help someone identify your
iris, especially if it is a species, which it may not be.

<< Apart from its deciduous leaves, my iris seems to be very like I.subbiflora
 as you described it.>>

I thought so, too, but that would be very remarkable.

<< I have started the hunting of the books you rekommended and because we now
 have had eigth days with sunshine (that was our summer) I have been able to
 take a couple of  photographs, perhaps they turn out nice, I will send you
 some. >>

How wonderful! We shall continue this conversation later, then. Happy summer,
Maj!

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA, USA
HIPSource@aol.com