[iris-talk] CULT: Build Beds Now

From: Irisborer@aol.com

I'm forwarding a post (with permission) from the hosta e-mail robin.   I think
the it's pretty universal... just think  "iris" everywhere Glen has "hosta" .

And he does have a point.... it's SO hard to get irises planted when we
should... mainly because we run out of garden.  Now when the air is cooling
and we have more time... NOW would be the time to build new gardens.

When I build a new bed, I have learned that raising it (just by heaping the
soil.... no big time project involved), I get far more mileage out of my
bearded irises.  Also.... despite instructions to the contrary.... the bed
where my irises are happiest by far is the bed that I built with a combination
of topsoil and composted manure.

So.... I submit the following for your amusement.....

Kathyguest.... whose getting chilly!

Dear Fellow Hosta Obsessives:
      It is time to put in those new beds for next years hostas. I know. I
know. You are not going to spend any money on hostas next year. You are
firm in your resolve. You will not be swayed. Get real. You know in your
heart of hearts that you are going to buy some. Or better yet have some
given to you. Be prepared.

   Think how rich you will feel when in spring the beds are all set to
receive  the new plants. It is a great feeling. One of competencey,
far-sightedness, and virtue. Your neighbors will be struggling. You will be
looking at them with pity.

   By preparing the bed in  advance it will have a chance to settle, cut
down on the potency of any manure you may want to add ,as well as providing
an area which will fool the voles. I have grown to like raised beds very
much. No greater than 30 inches wide. Can be weeded from both sides and
need not be compacted by garden boots in search of plants or weeds.There
are some wonderful formulas for beds out there. Van Wade's and a 100 themes
and variations. Even rototilling the soil is a good start. As things die
back it is easier to see where the placement of the bed should be.

    Lawns are a waste. Do you want to spend your summer mowing grass?
Lawnmower repairs alone  would buy you 10 or 20 nice hostas. And that
boring walking to and fro. And polluting the atmosphere  by the use of a
gas engines? Nope. There is only one answer.Remember once that hosta bed is
established you will never weed again!

   As you may have guessed I have just been looking at used cars  ( to
transport hostas of course) and I may have picked up a degree of
unregulated, irrational, and overly optimistic exuberance.... and about the
stock market....

Glen Williams Zone 5a   Springield , Vermont.
salud,pesetas, y hostas