[iris-talk] HIST: Maj's Treasure--Possible ID

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Mike Lowe, Webmaster of the Historic Iris Preservation Society, has an
educated  guess on Maj's iris and he has posted it on the HIPS page under the
Unknowns. Maj, you should visit soon and tell us if he guessed correctly.

Here is the address: http://www.worldiris.com/

Mike thinks it sounds a lot like CYANEA (Goos and Koenemann, 1899). This
popular little historic iris, which is not an Iris species, obviously
survives. It got pretty wide distribution and was listed by a major Dutch
wholesale nursery in 1938. The checklist says it has a strong lemon fragrance.
I don't know whether this one is supposed to re-bloom or not, but, as we have
said before, some things appear to continue to bloom as the rhizomes get
mature enough if conditions suit the plant.

According to Randolph (Garden Irises, p.521) ---assuming I'm reading this
stuff right----CYANEA is a hybrid of I. pumila X MACRANTHA, which is often
said to be synonymous with AMAS. The latter was collected by Foster in 1885.

I have also asked some other wise folks and maybe they will also have some

Anner Whitehead