[iris-talk] Re: Iris Beds at Arkansas State Capitol

From: "Patrick O'Connor" <swamp@ix.netcom.com>

Celia wrote:

>It is unwise to attempt to grow water irises in conditions suitable to TBs.
>They do not mix. We tried that, and if you'll remember my description of
>the third-year LA rhizomes we pulled from the bed, you'll understand why we
>will not be doing it again.... do we really want to be modeling bad cultural
>practices in a display bed? Drainage in those beds is not what you call
>sharp, but it's not bad enough to make a good habitat for fulva. Not by a
>mile. And it turns into the Sahara in summer.

I understand your point, and nothing persuades like experience.   I will
mention, however, that the best experience I have had growing Louisianas
has been in beds that I thought at first were more suitable for TBs.  I
inherited space in a community garden in New Orleans in which all the beds
were raised and the soil was very sandy.  In fact, it was a recycled mix
that had been brought in.  It is probably pretty well on the acid side,
however, and, unlike the Capitol grounds, a sprinkler system keeps the
irises plenty wet.

At any rate, the Louisianas have grown and multiplied like I have never
seen in wet, heavy Louisiana soils.  The rhizomes I have been taking out
are huge and have blades and long (8-10 inch) roots along their entire
length, in some cases.  They did not appear to even contemplate dormancy,
except for one seedling that is half brevicaulis.  It is still green but
not growing.

I may stick a TB in there out of curiosity.

>We've also found a large planting of fulvas near Pinnacle, but it is on
>private land.

Do you know whether these fulvas are are representative of the ones in
South Louisiana?  Or is there variation in the Arkansas fulvas?

Do you see what a good citizen I have become, snipping and slicing and
slashing your original?  I will be ready to become a serial poster soon.

Patrick