Re: LAs in NO (was Iris Beds at Arkansas State Capitol)

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>Patrick writes:
>
><snip>I
>inherited space in a community garden in New Orleans in which all the beds
>were raised and the soil was very sandy.  In fact, it was a recycled mix
>that had been brought in.  It is probably pretty well on the acid side,
>however, and, unlike the Capitol grounds, a sprinkler system keeps the
>irises plenty wet.

And your climate, too, Patrick, don't forget that. How much rain does NO
get a year? We're supposed to get just under 50 inches here, although last
year we came in closer to 60" and this year we are ... let's see, almost
6.5" too dry. That's so dry. I'm ashamed to wish misery on you coastal
folks, but we're kind of happy to see Frances. She's sent us a 20 percent
chance of rain. (We need those hurricanes to head in somewhere about
Matagorda Bay in Texas; then we get the rainy impulses.)

>At any rate, the Louisianas have grown and multiplied like I have never
>seen in wet, heavy Louisiana soils.

You know so much more about LAs than I do I feel silly adding this, but we
also have noticed that municipal recycling compost does wonders for LAs.
Wendell Hall has been using it as a mulch, even. His plants are *big.*

>I may stick a TB in there out of curiosity.

Please do and tell us how it fares. My aunt in Laffyette says they grow
like weeds for her but seldom flower. Robert Turley has been working on a
list of cultivars that seem less chill-dependent, but he's north of you.
Still, he may be able to suggest a TB or two to experiment on. Robert?

>Do you know whether these fulvas are representative of the ones in
>South Louisiana?  Or is there variation in the Arkansas fulvas?

We must ask Tom Dillard this question. It is over my head. But I suspect,
just because species always seem a little different in different areas
(note the confusion attending missouriensis) that ours would be a little
different. Where is Tom? Tom? If he doesn't pipe up we might be able to
wring an answer out of Carl Hunter.

I cannot wait to meet you up here in May '99 for the SLI convention,
Patrick! We are going to pick your brain to pieces.

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons