From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 08:11 10/09/98 -0700, you wrote:
>From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
>I try not to spend much time under mine. As to Lorraine's question about
>growing under them: I would venture that if they are in an old well
>established grove the soil under them is so saturated with the oil from the
>leaves that it would make growing anything under them very difficult for
	I have never heard of the oils saturating the soil under a Eucalyptus
tree.  The main reason that things don't grow well under Eucs is that they
have VERY water-thirsty roots which basically take all available water from
anything within the rootzone.  The roots tend to lurk just under the
surface and just plain suck it dry.  That';s why grass rarely grows up to
Gum Tree trunks (although I have seen places where it does).  I've
certainly never had troubles growing things where I've removed Gum-tree
roots (i.e under the tree canopy) so I don't really think that the
Eucalyptus oils are a problem.  The tree in question in my garden is a
Eucalyptus nicolii (sp?) which has a very dense canopy so it would
"maximise" the amount of oil dropped from the leaves if that were the case.

	Cheers.				Paul Tyerman (Canberra, Australia)