From: "Steven & Sharlyn Rocha" <srocha@pacbell.net>

Hello Everyone,
    I always thought that the reason that nothing would grow under
eucalyptus trees was because of the oil from the leaves.

>>>I have never heard of the oils saturating the soil under a
tree.  The main reason that things don't grow well under Eucs is that
have VERY water-thirsty roots which basically take all available water
anything within the rootzone.  The roots tend to lurk just under the
surface and just plain suck it dry.<<

    This Off Topic post just gave me more gardening room though I
spend too much time under the tree because it drops large limbs. We
call this tree The Monster Tree
                                                Now I have room for
more irises,

Steven & Sharlyn Rocha
President, San Diego/Imperial Co. Iris Society
Region 15, Zone 9,  srocha@pacbell.net
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/7679 (Irises)
http://home.pacbell.net/srocha (Horses)