CULT: Irises under eucalypts

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Paul wrote:
>The main reason that things don't grow well under Eucs is that
>they have VERY water-thirsty roots which basically take all available
water from anything within the rootzone.
Steve wrote:
>    This Off Topic post just gave me more gardening room though I
>won't spend too much time under the tree because it drops large limbs.
We call this tree The Monster Tree  Now I have room for
>more irises,

I recall seeing (stunted) bearded irises growing wild, amidst thick
grass under eucalyptus trees, along the verge of the highway last year.
They were flowering profusely. I'm sure no one was running out in summer
with a hose to water them.
Jan Clark, in Australia, where the eucalyptus seedlings come up like
weeds, in the iris beds.