Re: mighty mighty CAIS (was LAs in NO)

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>From: "Patrick O'Connor"

>I am not sure there is a city in the country that has a more significant
>history of expertise with Louisiana Irises than Little Rock.<snip>
>I plan to attend the SLI meeting next May in the expectation that will
>learn a great deal from you folks.

Then you will not be spending much time talking to me, fella. :-)

Not that anyone sensible ever does!

But seriously, Little Rock *is* a hotbed of LA interest and enthusiasm. I'd
like to add a name to your catalog of growers: MD Faith. Marvin's from
Searcy. He's a garden judge and membership chairman for Region 22. And he's
deeply interested in hybridizing LAs, and he is registering a very nice
white seedling we all think he should introduce. It makes wonderful show
stalks. I expect you'll get to see it come May.

In the interest of accuracy, I should note that the late Oren Campbell was
from North Little Rock and Richard Morgan belongs to Hot Springs now, but
the names you listed were all at one time leaders in the Central Arkansas
Iris Society, and we want everyone to remember that! We're especially
grateful to have Henry Rowlan and Dick Butler at almost every meeting. Mr.
Butler has a genial dignity that impresses the "young folks" (read: those
of us in our 30s and 40s), and Henry's accomplishments never fail to amaze
our new recruits, once we explain SLI to them.

But this is a diverse group. We have many diehard dry culture growers,
especially among the general membership, and we have an always increasing
number of LA fanciers, and we have people like me, with far more enthusiasm
than experience. When I said "we" would be picking your brain, I meant
people like me might do that.

For instance, would you mind explaining about TICKFAW? I mean the name.
What does it mean? Also, why call an iris FALSE RIVER?

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons