OT: False River and Toad Suck, Etc.

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

> For instance, would you mind explaining about TICKFAW? I mean the name.
> What does it mean? Also, why call an iris FALSE RIVER?
>
> celia
> mailto:storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
> -----------------------------------
	False River is the actual name of a river in LA.  It is/was an
oxbow lake, I think, wherein the Mississippi River changed its course and
left behind a serpentine body of water, a false river.

	When I was driving on I-40 in AR, I saw a exit sign for Toad Suck.
Can you explain this place name, Celia?  Perhaps in AR there is a similar
publication, but in MS we have two editions of ORIGIN OF PLACE NAMES IN
MISSISSIPPI.

	Every state seems to have these strange names, Buck Snort, TN,
near Nashville; Cut and Shoot, TX, near Houston, etc.  I love Muleshoe,
TX.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS