Re: mighty mighty CAIS (was LAs in NO)

From: "Patrick O'Connor" <swamp@ix.netcom.com>

Celia wrote:

>For instance, would you mind explaining about TICKFAW? I mean the name.
>What does it mean? Also, why call an iris FALSE RIVER?

Celia, Tickfaw is a river, but False River is not.

Let me elaborate.  Tickfaw is a small river east of Baton Rouge that
empties into Lake Pontchartrain.  False River, as Walter indicated in
another response, is an oxbow lake and was a former channel of the
Mississippi. It is located near the town of New Roads about 25 miles
northwest of Baton Rouge.

I like naming irises for places, particularly in Louisiana.  I do have Toad
Suck on my future names list, by the way, but I might leave it to one of
the Arkansas hybridizers.  On second thought, maybe I will reserve it in
the morning.  What do you think?  Maybe the name should be auctioned off at
the SLI meeting.  I am sure hybridizers would pay a great deal for it.

Patrick