From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Patrick jokes:
>I do have Toad
>Suck on my future names list, by the way, but I might leave it to one of
>the Arkansas hybridizers.  On second thought, maybe I will reserve it in
>the morning.  What do you think?  Maybe the name should be auctioned off at
>the SLI meeting.  I am sure hybridizers would pay a great deal for it.
That's a funny idea. But I'd like to point out that place names are not
always the best tools for marketing an iris. Thelma Carrington had a nice
little plant she named TAR RIVER. That's a real river and so forth, but who
wants to an iris named TAR RIVER?

And who would want an iris named TOAD SUCK? I mean, *think* boys.

I think, by the way, that's one of those condensed French phrases: Tout De
Sumac, because the hills were covered in sumac. The official website of
Toad Suck Days claims that barge pilots in bars would drink until they
swelled up like toads, and people would say, "They suck on the bottle until
they swell up like toads." But that's marketing hooey.

My vote for a great iris name is JULIA LOYALL. The most marvelous person in
all of the state of Arkansas should be immortalized. I would like to hear
someone saying, "Julia Loyall's blooming her head off" so I can answer,
"That's so like her."

And my favorite Arkansas place name is "Guy." I go to Guy every summer to
pick peaches.

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons