HYB: Pollen storage

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Well, I collected my film canisters from a very obliging photography
store, and armed myself with tweezers, labels and silica gel and had a
good read of Sharon McAllisters bulletin article on pollen storing. My
dwarf iris 'TALK' opened 5 flowers on Saturday morning and it rained all
weekend! 5 more buds were showing signs of opening very soon, so I have
been out with my trusty scissors, snipped them off, and put them in a
Hopefully this tactic will pay off.
All my TB's listed as VVE and VE are pushing up bloom stalks and many
others are showing signs - even though there are still unopened daffodil
buds and the DI's only just in bud!  Wedding vow has an almost open bud.
A crazy spring!
In the gaps when the rain lets up, there are countless gardening jobs to
do, and the urge to plant every spare piece of bare soil with something
- ANYTHING - is running strong.
Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where two of my favourite place names
are 'HOWLONG' and 'TOOLONG'. (I don't know how long it takes to get to
Toolong, but it is certainly too long a drive to Howlong.)