Re: OT: False River and Toad Suck, Etc.

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>	Every state seems to have these strange names, Buck Snort, TN,
>near Nashville; Cut and Shoot, TX, near Houston, etc.  I love Muleshoe,
>TX.

Alabama boasts Great Fiery Gizzard Creek.  Hot Springs, New Mexico, changed
its name to Truth or Consequences years ago as a publicity trick involving
a now long-forgotten radio quiz show.  In the Amish country of Pennsylvania
we find Blue Ball and Intercourse.  Native-American-derived names are also
sometimes odd, such as Meshoppen and Mehoopany, two Pennsylvania towns.
Deaf Smith and Jim Hogg are two counties in Texas.  And on it goes.  The
English find the American habit of adding "-ville" to proper names to
produce town names odd and somewhat Frenchified.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

If a tin whistle is made out of tin, what is a foghorn made out of?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)