Re: OT: False River and Toad Suck, Etc.

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Bill Shear wrote:

	Walter added:

>... Jim Hogg are two counties in Texas.  Gov. Jim begat Miss Ima Hogg,
patron saint of the arts in Houston, but not Eura, Bea, Shesa and Hesa
Hogg, all the products of someone's wild imagination, but the stories
persist to this day.

  And on it goes.  The
> English find the American habit of adding "-ville" to proper names to
> produce town names odd and somewhat Frenchified.
> Bill Shear
	Now, Bill has brought out another interesting aspect of this crazy
thread, which I hope is not getting too boring for some.

	Bill, when is the pronunciation 'ville,' and when is it 'vuhl?'
I have noticed that nearly all of the ville ending towns are pronunced
'vuhl' in the South with the exception of a a two, three syllable root
word preceding ville.

	Colleyville, Mechanicsville....never Colleyvuhl, etc.

	Is your town pronunced Farmville or Farmvuhl?

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS