Re: LA: fulvas

From: "Rodney Barton" <rbarton@hsc.unt.edu>

patsiris@aol.com said:

> I am new to iristalk, but not to Fulvas.  There have been two large beds of
> near the Degolyer house at the Dallas Arboretum since the mid 30's and they
> rebloom in fall regularly.  These are the rust red variety.  Can anyone tell
> me more about them?  I wrote asking for info several days ago but have had no
I have read that Mrs. DeGolyer planted the I. fulva in the wash on the NE side (?) of the house. The bed just to the south of that is a later planting (There is a photo on the NANI web site of the newer bed.  See my signature for the URL).  I do not believe that this clone has been registered. I have thought of contacting the Aboretium and suggesting that they do register it and offer it for sale as it is a very nice form .  I do not know of any red fulvas that are AIS registered but there are several named clones.  Some red LAs are sold as fulva or "fulva types" (ex. RED ECHO)  but these are all hybrids and quite different than the species.

As for reblooming, I have another fulva that reblooms. Mostly it repeats, that is it blooms again not too long after its normal season.  Ocassionally it will send up a stalk in the fall.  Last year it tried to bloom 5 different times between March and December.  I say tried because late and early frosts got the March and December bloooms and the mid summer blooms never ammout to much.

Rodney Barton
Hickory Creek, (North Central) Texas, USA
Zone 7/8, typical temp range 15 - 105 F (-9 - 41 C)

North American Native Iris Web Page: