OT:Pronunciayshiuns

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Bill wrote:
>By the way, I have it on good authority that the second word in HOLDEN
CLOUGH is pronounced "cluff", not "clew" as I have heard done so often.

This morning I have achieved a state of true enlightenment. I always
pronounced this one 'CLOW' as in Plough.
Reminds me of an ex work mate of my fathers. Mr. Fenshaw. We were
greatly bemused when we discovered the spelling: FEATHERSTONEHOUGH. Very
English.
It all comes down to accents and ethnic background. Here Castlemaine
sounds more like Kesselmayn (very nasal) and the nearby town on
Maryborough is pronounced by locals as Merraburra. The one that really
offends my sensitivities is the little country town Majorca, which the
locals pronounce with the 'J' sound.
Cheers, Jan Clark