OT: Plants - Clematis

From: stickelbg@juno.com (Rebecca A Stickel)

Greetings,
I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone
has grown clematis with at lot of success.  I have
several varieties, sweet autumn, Nellie Mosier, two more
pinks, a five petaled violet and one white (kind of resembles
a dogwood blossom).

Anyway, here's my problem.  I can't find a lot of cultivating/
care information on them.  Mostly just keep roots shaded and
provide a trellis.  I have only two that are doing really well, the
sweet autumn (it never waits until autumn to bloom but is so
heavy after only two years of grown that it broke the trellis) and
the other white one described above.  The others grow a little through
the spring, but die back shortly after blooming (all leaves turn brown).
Some of them recover to rebloom in the fall, only two or three
blossoms.

 Also, every time I've tried to fertilize them, they immediately
die - I no longer fertilize!  What am I doing wrong.  I've seen vines
on other people's trellis' that are 10ft high and covered in blooms.

If you'd like you can contact me off list at the email below.

Thanks.

Becky Stickel
London OH  Zone 5
stickelbg@juno.com