Re: OT:Pronunciayshiuns

From: "Bill Smoot" <Billsmoot@email.msn.com>

---

>Bill wrote:
>>By the way, I have it on good authority that the second word in HOLDEN
>CLOUGH is pronounced "cluff", not "clew" as I have heard done so often.
>
>This morning I have achieved a state of true enlightenment. I always
>pronounced this one 'CLOW' as in Plough.
>Reminds me of an ex work mate of my fathers. Mr. Fenshaw. We were
>greatly bemused when we discovered the spelling: FEATHERSTONEHOUGH. Very
>English.

I've really enjoyed this off-topic thread.  We've always heard that CLOUGH
was pronounced as "cloth"!  Now I'm really confused, but I sometimes confuse
others with the pronunciation of the city I live in "Portsmouth".  It was
named that because it at "the mouth of the port".  Here, it is pronounced by
the locals as "Ports-Smith".  Some of the older residents pronounce it as
"Potes-miff".  If I order something and give my address over the telephone,
I frequently receive a package sent to Port Smith! Anyway, at least we're
not back on the correct pronunciation of Pseudacorus!!!!
Warm regards
BillSmoot