Re: OT-PLANTS: EUCALYPTUS

From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 23:19 14/09/98 -0700, you wrote:
>From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
>> >
>> John,
>>         I have never heard of the oils saturating the soil under a
Eucalyptus
>> tree.  The main reason that things don't grow well under Eucs is that they
>> have VERY water-thirsty roots
>
>Paul thanks for setting me straight. Another urban legend (Eucalyptus oil)
>bites the dust. Move over Mr. Blue Gum, here come the irises....
>
>John                     | "There be dragons here"
>                         |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                         |  to indicate the edge of the known world.

John,
	This is really only an opinion, I wouldn't call it "setting you straight".
 The basic thing is that if the Euc oil saturated the ground then there
would be nowhere in Australia that anything would grow (considering that
pretty well all the "populated" country over here has at some point had
Eucs of one type ior another growing there (I know this is a
generalisation...... but GENERALLY it is pretty accurate.   For most of our
cities etc. Euc trees were cleared to make room.  Now things grow fine in
the soil after Euc trees are removed and will even grow fine under gum
trees if the soil is heaped up and watering maintained...... so to my
thinking this excludes the possibility of Euc oils "poisoning" the soil but
I think it's more likely to be the roots which I know search out water.

	Anyhow, thats my train of logic.  I thought I'd put it up here to let
people know what I said what I did.

	The other possible problem with putting iris under gum trees is that Iris
are heavy feeders and like a lot of fertilisers, while the Australian
natives generally tend not to like fertiliser.  Could potentially cause a
problem too!!

	Cheers to all.

	Paul Tyerman (Australia) - Where I finally picked up an I. unguicularis
'Alba' the other day.  I used to have one but it died and I haven't been
able to find another one...... I have now, and It's put on 2 flowers since
I got it home.  It obviously likes being with its relatives (its now with
around 5 other unguicularis forms).