CAT: orders arriving

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

My Schreiner's order came in yesterday and as usual consisted of
high-quality rhizomes.  They certainly couldn't be described as
"water-logged" western rhizomes and indeed were quite dry--looked like they
had been out of the ground for weeks already.  But that's OK--based on
experience I know they will soon revive after planting-- and for once, I'm
ready to plant them with the new beds all prepared.

My order was late and so OVERJOYED was sold out--too bad, since this was
one variety I really wanted.  Anyone have any experience with it?  But I
did get as one of my extras a 1998 introduction, TERRA ROSSA.  My order
also included some intermediates and dwarfs and I was astonished at the
size (large) of the rhizomes of these.

Also coming in was a nice group of spuria rhizomes from
Chehalem gardens.  Because their bed is NOT ready, currently occupied by
annuals, they will go into pots until after frosts remove the annuals.  The
potting mix is 1/3 sand, 1/3 compost and 1/3 leaf mold, with a good handful
of hydrated lime added to bring down the pH.  Some of these rhizomes were
already sending out new roots and so are ready to go!

PS--if any of you happen to be in Farmville on Oct. 3, I'll be doing a book
signing at the Rolleighdon Bookstore on North Main from 11 am on.
Seriously, a visit to Farmville is a feature on many schedules from DC to
North Carolina, since Green Front Furniture, located in several warehouses
and showrooms in the north end of town, has become one of the major
discount furniture marts in the country.  A whole group of restaurants and
other shops have grown up in that part of town to serve the thousands of
people who show up on weekends to shop for furniture.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

If a tin whistle is made out of tin, what is a foghorn made out of?
			-IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions)