Re: CULT: Fertilizing Louisianas and Species Iris.

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

Dear Mark

We agree with Patrick O'Connor that anytime from on is very suitable for
indulging your LAs with some fertilizer.  Like most iris, they are gross

But what does one use?  There is a new product out here called "Power
Pellets" which we have trialled very successfully.  They are NOT the chicken
manure pellets (here they are called "Dynamic Lifter") which are synonymous
with "fertilizer" here in Oz and very much a household word, rather they are
an organic mixture that breaks down progressively over weeks as opposed to
the short burst  coming from the chicken manure pellets.

So many people find that animal manures cause rust in iris, so we keep away
from those in the main.  However, we have had success with duck manure mixed
in with sawdust.

We tend to have a feeding program: in early spring we feed well with a
fertilizer with phosphorus and potassium which seem to encourage our LAs to
come to bloom; in the late summer we use a nitrogenous fertilizer (eg. Power
Pellets) and one which contains trace elements; in autumn we give them
another light feed of fertilizers and this time it is NPK in small amounts.

As our mothers used to say (probably to us all) - "A little often is better
than a lot all at once!"  (That was probably when I was caught eating with a
mouthful like a squirrel with packed cheeks!!!)

Also a friend has just given us some old carpet that they ripped out of a
room being renovated.  We cut it into strips and laid it down some of the
rows as a walking medium (since we haven't afforded suitable walkway
material such as cement or asphalt - and do remember that we are NOT open to
the public, it's just we 2 romping around).  The trouble is that now I feel
that I have to wipe my boots every time I go near there.  I have even had
the thought pass guiltily through my troubled mind that I have to get the
vacuum cleaner out as some parts have mud on them!!  Horror of horrors!  I'm
not sure now whether to thank our friends or disown them!  Still all this
provides shade and moisture for the LA roots as well as keeping the weeds
down (well, that it until there is so much soil in the carpet that we start
to plant a crop! - maybe wheat?)

Bernard Pryor   irishaven@pip.com.au