Springtime in Oz

Well, Spring is certainly making its presence felt in Sydney at the moment.  Bernard and I were out at the garden today to do some digging of orders and the garden is filled with spikes of Louisiana Iris.  We feel that in about two more weeks we will be into bloom season with a vengence.   The sun has been shining and weather has been mild - what a great time to be alive!
A lone spike of TB BAHLOO and ELSEDINA have poked their heads up for the year, and are a joy to behold in the Spring sunshine in bloom.
With so many tasks to perform during bloom season (hybridising, assessing seedlings, photographing, recording seedling details etc.) it is sometimes hard to take time out to "smell the irises" and just enjoy them.
We have decided this season to invite some of our dearest friends to join us for meals/snacks out at the garden.  This way we can share the joy of our garden with them, and take time out to just look at it all for a short time.  There is nothing nicer than sharing a cuppa tea and cake with good friends in a nice place, is there?
We are off to Canberra (our national capital in OZ) later this week to take part in the annual "Garden and Yard Expo" and to visit the annual floral display of Floriade.   Floriade is held over several weeks and features thousands of spring bulbs and annuals planted out in public parks for us all to enjoy.  I have travelled down for the day with my good friend Ann Hordern for the last two years, but this time I am going to share the joy of the displays with Bernard.  He is really looking forward to it.  See you there Paul & Yvonne!
Cheers for now   Heather Pryor  irishaven@pip.com.au