Re: Rebloom in Los Angeles

From: Mara Schaeffer <mschaef@pacbell.net>

     I live in Zone 9 in Los Angeles County. Around 16 years ago, I bought
around 20 iris plant which were supposed to be reblooming from a local iris
grower. They never rebloomed, but did put on a nice show of flowers in the
Spring for a few years, until fruit trees shaded them. I have always wanted
to see reblooming iris, so last Sunday drove out to see an iris and daylily
farm(Greenwood) that offered a number of reblooming iris for sale.
     The people who worked there were very helpful, and let me wander
around the back lot where many of the iris beds were. There was one large
iris bed that was covered with white with  purple edged flowers on short
stems, named Hemstitched. There were several lavender blue blooms that the
nursery owner could not exactly identify, only that the name was not Sierra
Blue. There were several blooms in the Corn Harvest, Night Affair, and
Grape Adventure beds; and at least one bloom and buds in the beds of
Champagne Elegance, Composed, Beau Catcher, Feedback, Twice Thrilling, and
Breakers. The flowers looked a little strange coming up from late summer,
brown tipped leaves, powdered with the late season dust, baking in the hot
        I bought some of above iris plants, and some recommended others
(Hemstitched, Not Sierra Blue(?), Grandma's Purple Flag, Frequent Flyer,
Champagne Elegance, Sea of Joy, Heather Blush, Breakers, Varga Girl),and
rushed home to get them in the ground before dark, in a new, sunny
location. Maybe next year I'll see rebloomers in my own garden.>
Mara Schaeffer