Autumn Flowers

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

After about 6 weeks, I have returned to the fold!  I spent three in the
Maritimes and took some time to search for Iris prismatica.  It was
recorded as abundant at Louisburg in 1900 and has not been found there
for about 50 years.  It is only recorded recently in three locations in
the province and, on examining the herbarium specimens, I wonder if they
are all valid locations.  The threatened designation of this species for
the province seems very justified.  To find living plants would require
a full time trip in June.  It may be around but the botanists that I
spoke to have not seen it.

On return, I found a plant of Iris virginica (?) in full bloom (10
flowers)!  I put a ? because the more that I look at my material and the
plants of Sandy and Maureen, the more that I doubt the descriptions and
keys.  There seems to be every gradation between virginica, v.shrevei,
and versicolor!

I have also been out to Alberta and British Columbia to gather
information on fund raising by Botanic Gardens.  On my return, I was
greeted by two plants of Iris lacustris in flower again.  What is going
on?  Do they not know that it is September and winter is only a few
weeks away!

Ian, in Ottawa, who is preparing to read through the long list of
iris-talk e-mails and catch up with events around the world.